Director, Performance Improvement and Innovation
The Washington Health Alliance was created to build a leadership coalition among purchasers, providers, health plans, patients and others to improve the quality of health care for our community, and to reduce the cost of care. Since 2005, the work of the Alliance has focused on defining, measuring, and reporting on high quality, efficient health care in Washington state and facilitating the transparency of critical information in support of this goal. The work of the Alliance is accomplished through regular meetings of, and communication between, multiple key stakeholders throughout Washington state.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director, Performance Improvement and Innovation will play a lead staff role for two Alliance committees, including the Quality Improvement Committee and the Sustainability and Innovation Committee. As the lead staff, the incumbent will be responsible for building upon our body of analytic work. The incumbent will strategically assess and execute the next great ideas that will propel health care transparency and action in ways that are responsive to our broad stakeholder base, and provide new opportunities to monetize Alliance data products in support of our goal to improve the quality of health care. This individual must have the ability and acumen to translate relevant analytic findings into new channels for the Alliance. The ideal candidate will have experience and content knowledge that enables them to readily understand health care performance measurement, health care delivery and health care purchasing. This person must have the skill set and flexibility to work at the intersection of data translation, practical experience of providers/purchasers, and performance improvement techniques. This person will help navigate the literature and ensure that the Alliance products are discerning and forward looking based on available evidence, and the goal to practically implement findings.
The Director, Performance Improvement and Innovation is responsible for working across the entire team, including data and analytics experts, communication and business development leaders, and external stakeholders to drive the translation of data from Alliance and external sources into compelling products and services.
The successful individual in this position will have a passion for improving healthcare through data insights and will:
- Be a highly motivated individual with extensive health knowledge and experience, and be recognized as a thought leader;
- Have strong leadership attributes and be able to collaborate across the entire Alliance team to propel the work forward;
- Generate new product ideas that will maintain the Alliance’s leadership role and competitive position in the state of Washington and will further our work nationally and with external funders;
- Have experience, content knowledge and a skill set that enables them to readily understand and converse about the mission, vision and work of the Washington Health Alliance, as well as health care delivery and performance in Washington state;
- Exhibit a track record of understanding, visualizing and deploying data and analytic work showing an ability to translate good ideas into evidence-based products and services to propel performance improvement;
- Demonstrate deep knowledge of and a willingness to stay abreast of health care performance measurement, including (but not limited to) quality and efficiency measures routinely used in common measure sets in the state and nationally (e.g. HEDIS).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Translate Board of Director’s strategic direction into tangible products and services, in particular, providing lead staff support to the Sustainability and Innovation Committee of the Alliance Board of Directors. This will include designing and developing new products and services from the Alliance in collaboration with the entire Alliance team.
- Provide leadership and staff support to the Quality Improvement Committee, a large group of senior clinical leaders from medical groups, hospitals and health plans.
- Develop and support Alliance efforts to engage provider organizations in delivering high value care;
- Support educational forums and communication strategies that promote collaborative learning and sharing of successful strategies that result in performance improvement in the care delivery setting;
- Utilize measure results to assist in identifying and prioritizing gaps for focused intervention; and
- Promote the effective use of evidence-based guidelines and proven strategies in focusing areas for improvement.
- Lead the Alliance in the selection of quality, efficiency and patient experience measures to be used for analysis and public and private reporting.
- Stay abreast of quality measures routinely used in state and national measure sets;
- Understand both purchaser and provider perspective and needs regarding performance measurement;
- Routinely analyze measure results and local population data to inform the selection of priorities for measurement and improvement efforts;
- Closely collaborate with the Alliance Data Management and Analytic team, providing regular consultation and support.
- Lead the eValue8 process to evaluate health plan performance and facilitate conversations between purchasers and participating health plans to discuss results and motivate change.
- Lead the Alliance’s efforts in patient experience surveys and collaborate to secure external funding for this work.
- Work with the Alliance’s communication team to assist stakeholders to transform data into actionable information that improves performance.
- Attend health care industry networking events and represent the Alliance at events of members and partner organizations through speaking engagements and other visible marketing opportunities.
- Engage with state and national legislative and health agency leaders to inform policy conversations through analyses and reports.
- Follow the latest industry developments and stay up-to-date on competitors.
- Exhibit adept social selling skills through leveraging current networks and cultivating audiences.
- Assist with identifying and obtaining external grants and contracts that capitalize on Alliance work and enhance it.
- Prioritize multiple tasks intelligently, speak up when you see issues and opportunities, and make a positive contribution to our culture.
- Master’s degree in health administration or public health and at least ten years of experience in health policy and performance improvement,
Advanced degree in a clinical field and at least ten years of experience in health policy and performance improvement.
Preferred candidates will also have the following qualifications:
- Exceptional critical thinking and analytical skills, including the ability to translate analytic work for a variety of audiences.
- Excellent written and verbal (customer presentation) communication skills and demonstrated ability to network with all levels in an organization to develop long term membership relationships to deliver:
- Well-written articles, memos, reports, etc.;
- Clear, well-organized presentations on health topics to audiences with widely varied backgrounds and levels of understanding; and,
- Statistically valid and reliable reports, with strong stakeholder buy-in that furthers the mission and vision of the Alliance.
- Understanding of current issues in health care transformation, value-based purchasing and, quality improvement principles, models and tools within health care.
- Knowledge of health care performance measures (e.g., HEDIS), data analysis with the ability to “translate” health data into usable information for multiple audiences.
- Knowledge of the Washington state health care delivery system, including integrated delivery systems, medical groups, hospitals, and health insurers.
- Must work well on teams and be self-directed with demonstrated organizational and project management skills and the ability to effectively work on several complex, multi-part projects simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal skills and poise in working with senior leaders from multiple ‘stakeholder’ organizations, including health care delivery organizations, payers, employers and consumer groups.
- Track record of successfully working with and guiding committees and project work teams with an orientation toward timely completion of work and tangible products.
- Computer proficiency (PC-Windows preferred) and proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Flexibility, a helpful, can-do attitude, and a sense of humor.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Some travel is required – mostly within Washington state. General office work environment with regular office hours, Monday through Friday (8 am – 5 pm).
This position offers a unique opportunity to join a well-respected organization committed to transforming the health care system in Washington
Please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
Nancy A. Giunto
Washington Health Alliance
600 Stewart Street, Suite 824
Seattle, WA 98101
Please, no unsolicited phone inquiries. We are unable to consider resumes that do not meet a significant number of qualifications listed above.