Membership and Business Development Manager
The Washington Health Alliance was created to build a leadership coalition among purchasers, providers, health plans, patients and others to improve the quality of health care for our community, and to reduce the cost of care. Since 2005, the work of the Alliance has focused on defining, measuring, and reporting on high quality, efficient health care in Washington state and facilitating the transparency of critical information in support of this goal. The work of the Alliance is accomplished through regular meetings of, and communication between, multiple key stakeholders throughout Washington state.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Membership and Business Development Manager is responsible for recruiting and retaining members for the Washington Health Alliance, primarily from two key stakeholder sectors including: purchasers (employers and union trusts), and health care provider organizations (integrated delivery systems, medical groups, hospitals). The Business Development Manager will work as an ambassador for member engagement, secure sponsorships for Alliance programs and events, and, in conjunction with the Senior Communications Manager, develop collateral, presentations, and other support materials to achieve business development goals.
The successful individual in this position will:
- have the experience, content knowledge and skill set that enables them to readily understand and converse about the mission, vision and work of the Washington Health Alliance, as well as health care delivery and performance in Washington state;
- enjoy contacting and meeting new people and be effectively organized, persuasive and engaging to achieve the Alliance’s business development goals; and
- have a background in health care and a proven track record in the ability to sell the merits of a community-based, not-for-profit organization they are passionate about.
Success in this position will be evaluated based on the achievement of recruitment and retention targets within designated time periods.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Have a thorough knowledge of and effectively communicate the Alliance’s value to potential members.
- Develop and implement strategies for member retention and recruitment with the Executive Director and through active engagement with the Board of Directors, in particular the Membership Business Development Committee.
- Engage with current and prospective Alliance members to better understand their needs/desires and introduce them to relevant Alliance benefits and programs with the goals of increasing member satisfaction and retention and securing new members. Articulate the hard and soft Return on Investment associated with membership.
- Develop a plan for recruiting new members based on an analysis of target populations and strategic fit. Proactively identify prospects and recruit new members to join the Alliance from employers and union trusts, health care provider organizations, and others stakeholder sectors, as defined.
- Based on knowledge from the field, offer suggestions on ways to refine marketing collateral focused on member recruitment, retention and sponsorships in collaboration with the Executive Director and Senior Communications Manager.
- Identify other business/revenue opportunities (potential grants, contracts, consulting to further the spread of business cases developed based on use of Alliance work by current members etc.) that align with the mission of the Alliance and engage other Alliance team members in evaluating and responding to these opportunities.
- Secure sponsorships for Alliance programs and events, manage day-to-day relationships with sponsors, and assist with Alliance membership meetings.
- Create a sales tracking mechanism to record contact names, current contact information, points of contact etc. Regularly report on pipeline development and business opportunities.
- Research business opportunities and viable income streams and write business proposals.
- Support membership database maintenance and management.
- Attend health care industry networking events and represent the Alliance at events of members and partner organizations through speaking engagements and other visible marketing opportunities.
- In conjunction with the Finance Manager, support the Alliance’s annual membership contribution invoice and collection process.
- In conjunction with the Deputy Director, support the Alliance’s Purchaser Affinity Group by helping to facilitate meetings and generate meaningful topics for discussion.
- Follow the latest industry developments and stay up-to-date on competitors.
- Exhibit very adept social selling skills through leveraging current networks and cultivating audiences.
- Bachelor’s degree mandatory, Master’s degree preferred – preferably in business, marketing, or health care administration.
- Ideally, the candidate will have at least 5 years of experience in business development or nonprofit membership development and a passion for improving health care delivery in Washington state.
- This is a relationship-driven position, therefore excellent interpersonal skills are a must.
- Ability to clearly and accurately represent the goals, features, and benefits of the Washington Health Alliance and translate the work into value for the potential member.
- Proven track record of meeting and exceeding membership revenue and other revenue growth goals.
- Outstanding customer service ethics and high expectations for quality.
- Excellent written and verbal (customer presentation) communication skills and demonstrated ability to network with all levels in an organization to develop long term membership relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to work as an individual contributor and on teams, and to effectively manage multiple tasks and needs.
- Excellent organizational skills with superb follow-through.
- Computer proficiency (PC-Windows preferred) in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Salesforce.
- Flexibility, a helpful, can-do attitude, and a sense of humor.
This position offers a unique opportunity to join a well-respected organization committed to transforming the health care system in Washington
Please send resume and salary requirements to:
Washington Health Alliance
600 Stewart Street, Suite 824
Seattle, WA 98101
Please, no unsolicited phone inquiries. We will not consider resumes that do not meet a significant number of qualifications listed above.