The Alliance is currently hiring for a Director of Purchaser Strategies (pdf). See below for details.
Director of Purchaser Strategies Position
The Washington Health Alliance (Alliance) is a purchaser-led multi-stakeholder coalition of members that includes purchasers, health plans, providers, and others who come together for the purpose of improving the quality and reducing the cost of care in Washington state. Since 2005, the work of the Alliance has focused on defining, measuring, and reporting on the quality and cost of health care and facilitating the transparency of critical information and stakeholder engagement in support of our members’ goals.
The work of the Alliance is accomplished through regular meetings of its member advisory committees and communication between multiple key stakeholders throughout Washington state for special initiatives that are often made possible through grant support. The Alliance’s public reports on health care cost and quality use claims data voluntarily supplied by its health plan and self-insured purchaser members. This dataset includes more than four million covered lives in Washington state. Alliance reporting on health care quality and cost is publicly available at the statewide, county, regional (Accountable Communities of Health), and market (commercial and Medicaid) levels.
We are committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment and aspire that all of our work is viewed through an equity lens. Here is our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement, approved by the Board of Directors, that guides our work:
The Washington Health Alliance is committed to becoming an inclusive and anti-racist organization. We pledge to create an environment where all employees and members, regardless of skin color, culture, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, ability, or age, feel valued and have opportunities for growth. We commit to identify, discuss, expose, and challenge inequities, including structural racism, in healthcare systems across Washington.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Purchaser Strategies leads the way in supporting, activating and expanding the work of the Alliance’s Purchaser Affinity Group, one of four member advisory committees. In addition, this individual will play the lead role in the organization’s overall strategy and goals focused on engaging employers and union trusts to make benefit and health care purchasing decisions that ensure high quality, affordable care for their plan participants and all Washingtonians. This individual will work with other members of the Alliance leadership team to attract new purchaser members, refine the current value proposition, and develop new initiatives from the purchaser perspective. This staff member will play an important leadership role in major grant work already secured by the Alliance and will work to seek additional funding opportunities. It is the intention that this person will accomplish these goals in collaboration with other important Alliance stakeholders such as payers and providers.
This individual who fills this position must have the ability and acumen to translate relevant research and analytic findings into new channels that motivate purchasers to act as change agents within their organizations and across their communities. The incumbent will actively engage with the National Alliance of Healthcare Purchaser Coalitions and lead the bi-annual process for evaluating health plans along with other initiatives offered by this group, often times in collaboration with other Alliance team members. The leader in this role will also actively participate in other national groups that place a priority on purchasers as change agents like the Center for Value Based Insurance Design (VBID) at the University of Michigan, and Civitas Networks for Health (formerly the Network for Regional Health Improvement and the Strategic Health Information Exchange Collaborative).
The ideal candidate will have experience and content knowledge to readily understand a wide perspective of health care purchasing issues, including benefit design, employer/employee incentives, wellness incentives and programming and payment model options. This person must have the skill set and flexibility to work at the intersection of research and data translation with the practical needs of purchasers and other stakeholders to drive market change using Alliance work and initiatives.
The Alliance is a small organization that does very visible and significant work in the state and is recognized nationally as a leader in multi-stakeholder work and analytics. This individual will be expected to work collaboratively across the entire Alliance team to successfully support purchaser strategies, as well as provide support for initiatives led by other team members that are essential to our success. This includes colleagues with responsibility for data and analytics, communications, member engagement, care transformation, finance, and office coordination.
The successful individual in this position will have a passion for improving healthcare through purchaser activation and will:
- Have extensive experience working with health care purchasers, including employers and union trusts, with a proven track record of motivating collective change and improving care through deployment of strategic initiatives such as benefit changes, introducing new payment models and the like.
- Be a highly motivated individual with extensive health care system knowledge and experience, and be recognized as a thought leader.
- Demonstrate strong leadership and collaboration attributes, possess self-awareness, and a sense of humor.
- Think outside the box and generate new product ideas that will maintain the Alliance’s leadership role and competitive position in the state of Washington and will further our work nationally and with external funders.
- Have strong writing and speaking skills and be comfortable and facile in communicating results and initiatives in public settings.
- Have experience, content knowledge and a quick study approach to readily understand and converse about the mission, vision and work of the Alliance, as well as health care delivery and performance in Washington state.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership and staff support to the Purchaser Affinity Group, a large group of purchaser leaders representing employers and union trusts seeking to work collectively to drive market change.
- Develop and support Alliance efforts to engage purchaser organizations to agree on key strategic initiatives and to make progress on them.
- Support educational forums and communication strategies that promote collaborative learning and sharing of successful strategies for purchaser members, oftentimes working with other stakeholders.
- Utilize measure results to assist in identifying and prioritizing gaps for specific members by offering insight gleaned from individualized purchaser reports for those members who act as data suppliers to the Alliance’s dataset.
- Lead the eValue8™ (or its successor) process to evaluate health plan performance and facilitate conversations between purchasers and participating health plans to discuss results and motivate change.
- Work with the Alliance leadership team to identify and secure new revenue-generating opportunities (potential grants, contracts) that align with the mission of the Alliance.
- Lead the Alliance’s efforts through the next stages of the Driving Value Project.
- Lead the Alliance’s efforts and activities in patient experience surveys. This is work that is currently on pause and requires creative thinking and funding to restart.
- Work with the Alliance’s communication team to assist purchasers in translating data into actionable information that informs how purchasers can act differently to improve the value of care received by their plan participants.
- Represent the Alliance on relevant committees and/or Boards as assigned and at events of member and partner organizations through speaking engagements and other visible marketing opportunities.
- Engage with state and national legislative and health agency leaders to inform policy conversations through convening, analyses, and reports.
- Follow the latest industry developments and stay up-to-date on marketplace changes, particularly for those who buy care at an organizational and/or individual level.
- Exhibit adept social selling skills through leveraging current networks and cultivating audiences.
- Prioritize multiple tasks intelligently, speak up when you see issues and opportunities, and make a positive contribution to our culture.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Master’s degree in health administration, public health, business or related field, and at least ten years of experience working in health policy, operations, administration, or consulting.
- This is a relationship-driven position, therefore excellent interpersonal skills and a bias towards action are a must.
Preferred candidates will also have the following qualifications:
- Exceptional critical thinking and analytical skills, including the ability to translate research and analytic work for a variety of audiences.
- Excellent written and verbal (customer presentation) communication skills and a demonstrated ability to network with all levels in an organization to develop long term membership relationships and to deliver:
- well-written articles, memos, reports, etc.;
- clear, well-organized presentations on health topics to audiences (primarily purchaser) with widely varied backgrounds and levels of understanding; and,
- products and services that represent a meaningful value-proposition for purchaser members and drive strong stakeholder buy-in to further the mission and vision of the Alliance.
- Deliver well-written and organized articles, memos, presentations, white papers, on health topics to a variety of audiences with widely varied backgrounds and levels of understanding.
- Understand current issues in health care and efforts underway in the state and nationally to support transformation, employee/member communications and value-based purchasing models and tools from a purchaser perspective.
- Understand the Washington state health care delivery system, including integrated delivery systems, medical groups, hospitals, and health insurers.
- The ability to work well on teams and be self-directed with demonstrated organizational and project management skills and the ability to effectively work on several complex, multi-part projects simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal skills and poise in working with senior leaders from multiple stakeholder organizations, including purchasers, payers, health plans and consumer groups.
- A successful track record of successfully supporting and guiding committees and doing the work as well as driving and completing tangible work products.
- Flexibility, a helpful, can-do attitude, and a sense of humor.
- Proficiency in computer technology (PC-Windows preferred), including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, as well as a variety of virtual meeting platforms, including Zoom, the primary platform currently in use by the Alliance.
Reports to: Executive Director
FTE: 1.0. full-time
Working conditions: Currently several staff are working virtually, and while working in the office is preferred, there is flexibility for remote work. Some travel is required – mostly within Washington state.
This position offers a unique opportunity to join a well-respected organization committed to transforming the health care system in Washington. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
Nancy A. Giunto
Washington Health Alliance
600 Stewart Street, Suite 824
Seattle, WA 98101
Please, no unsolicited phone inquiries. We are unable to consider resumes that do not meet a significant number of qualifications listed above.