Blowing up the Value Equation: Rethinking Value and How We Get There, October 6, 2022, 10-11 am PT
Join us as we close out our Value-Based Payment webinar series – Blowing up the Value Equation: Rethinking Value and How We Get There brought to you by the Foundation for Health Care Quality and the Washington Health Alliance.
We will start with a conversation between Dr. Drew Oliveira, Executive Director, Washington Health Alliance and Ginny Weir, CEO, Foundation for Health Care Quality to dive into the meaning of value then transition into a panel with Ashby Wolfe, MD, MPP, MPH, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Regional Chief Medical Officer, CMS San Francisco, Seattle and Denver Offices; Matt Stiefel, MS, MPA, Director, Center for Population Health, Kaiser Permanente Care Management Institute; and Nicole Saint Clair, MD, FACOG, Executive Medical Director, Regence BlueShield of WA.
- Tamyra Garcia, MPH: Deputy Director, Quality Measurement and Value-Based Incentives, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Emily Transue, MD: Associate Medical Director, Washington State Health Care Authority
- Edwin Carmack, MD: Medical Director, Confluence Health
- Angie Sparks, MD: Chief Medical Officer, United Healthcare
- Dayna Weatherly, RN: Manager of Value-Based Health, Proliance Surgeons
- Jan Berger, MD, JD, President and CEO, Health Intelligence Partners, who will bring her experience within and without health care systems to frame how data exchange must be timely, personalized, and actionable; calling out a role for employer purchasers and others.
- Vishal Chaudhry, Chief Data Officer and Cathie Ott, Information Technology Strategic Advisor, Washington State Health Care Authority who will honestly reflect on highs and lows over the last year from the state agency perspective and help lay out where we need to go and who needs to be involved.
- A panel discussion with Rick Rubin, CEO, One Health Port; Marla McLaughlin, MD, Medical Director, Central and East Regions, Vera Whole Health; and Sakshi Jain, MHA, Manager, Strategic Programs, Premera Blue Cross to discuss Washington state’s data pipes, provider, and health plan infrastructure, architecture, and potential.
- Abby Berube, Director Safety & Quality, Washington State Hospital Association
- Phyllis M. Cavens, MD, Medical Director, Child and Adolescent Clinic.
This webinar is designed to help payers and providers identify ways they can work together to transform value-based payment models and improve health outcomes.
- Hear the national perspective on why no one stakeholder can ‘go it alone’ from Lisa Dulsky-Watkins, MD, Director, Multi-State Collaborative with the Milbank Memorial Fund who has been working nationally to align payers as part of the Comprehensive Primary Care Plus CMMI program.
- Learn about an example of success in Ohio where almost a dozen commercial and Medicaid payers have been working together to transform primary care across the state from Tiffany Mattingly, RN, BSN, MSN, C-EFM, Vice President with The Health Collaborative.
- Get an update on the Washington State Multi-Payer Primary Care Model from Emily Transue, MD, MHA, Medical Director with the Health Care Authority.
- Participate in a lively discussion with our “boots on the ground” panelists including Angie Sparks, MD, President of the Washington Academy of Family Physicians (who serves as Medical Director Clinical Knowledge Development & Support with Kaiser Permanente Washington as her day job), Michael Myint, MD, Physician Executive for MultiCare Connected Care with MultiCare Health System, and Christine Palermo, MD, FACP, CPC, Medical Director of Business Services with Virginia Mason Medical Center.
Aligning Quality Measures: Can We Measure What Matters More Efficiently?, July 15, 2021, view recording here.
This webinar is designed to help purchasers, providers, and health plans identify ways they can take action to more efficiently measure what matters in Washington state. View presentations here:
- Alicia Berkemeyer, Executive Vice President, Chief Health Management Officer, Arkansas Blue Cross Blue Shield; and
- Dr. Rebecca Etz, Director of the Larry Green Center at Virginia Commonwealth University.
Dorothy Teeter, brings both a national and regional policy perspective as a former Senior Advisor at the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation before acting as Washington State Health Care Authority Director. Dorothy led the panel discussion highlighting the opportunities in Washington state to measure what matters more effectively with:
- David (DC) Dugdale, MD, MS, Medical Director Value-Based Care, UW Medicine,
- Drew Oliveira, MD, Senior Executive Medical Director and Population Health at Cambia Health Solutions, Regence BlueShield, and
- Tony Butruille, MD, Family Physician, Cascade Medical, Leavenworth, Washington.
A recently issued report from National Academies of Sciences, Education, and Medicine, recognized that primary care is the foundation of a high performing health care system, “is crumbling,” and outlined steps to improve it in the consensus report, Implementing High Quality Primary Care: Rebuilding the Foundation of Health Care. At this webinar co-sponsored by the Washington Health Alliance (Alliance) and Washington State Health Care Authority (HCA):
- President of the Milbank Memorial Fund and one the report’s co-authors Chris Koller, outlined the steps Washington state can take to improve primary care through payment reform;
- HCA Director Sue Birch reviewed the progress on the state’s Multi-Payer Primary Care Transformation Model;
- Director of Health Plan Performance and Strategy Laura Kate Zaichkin described SEIU 775 Benefits Group’s approach to improve primary care;
- Benefit advisors Alex Rule, Western Region of Healthcare Strategy at Gallagher and Brent Schlosstein, Founder and Senior Partner at TRUEbenefits LLC, shared their views of the important role employers play in the transformation; and
- Alliance Executive Director Nancy Giunto provided take-aways for providers, health plans, and purchasers.
- Julia Adler-Milstein, PhD, Professor of Medicine and Director of the Center for Clinical Informatics and Improvement Research, University of California, San Francisco
- Vishal Chaudhry, Chief Data Officer, Washington State Health Care Authority
- Cathie Ott, IT Strategic Advisor, Washington State Health Care Authority
- Elya Prystowsky, Executive Director, The Rural Collaborative
- Jeremia Bernhardt, MD, Iora Health
- Randy Coughlan, Director of Population Health, Embright, LLC
From Impossible to Implementation: Mobilizing Collective Action Around Social Determinants of Health, January 21, 2021, view recording here and these materials:
- Sara Singleton, Principal, National Alliance to Impact the Social Determinants of Health; and
- Alison Poulsen, Executive Director, Better Health Together.
Driving Health Care Value One Step at a Time!
By Washington Health Alliance’s Karen Johnson and Bree Collaborative’s Ginny Weir
January 21, 2021
Value-Based Care Summit, November 12, 2020, view recording here and these materials:
- The Transformation of Health Care: The Moral Determinants of Health by Donald Berwick, MD, MPP, FRCP;
- Where Are We Now HCA’s Value-Based Purchasing by Washington State Health Care Authority Director Sue Birch, BSN, RN, MBA, and Chief Medical Officer Judy Zerzan-Thul, MD, MPH;
- Value-Based Care and the Future of Care Delivery in America by Chief Strategy and Chief Research Officer for Leavitt Partners, LLC, David Muhlestein, PhD, JD; and
- panel discussion presentations by President of Optum Western Washington Lloyd David, President-West of Landmark Health Rebecca Kavoussi, Chief Administrative Officer at Eastside Health Network David LaMarche, MBA, and Kaiser Permanente Washington’s Chief Financial Officer and Vice President of Strategy Karen Schartman.