Learning Module: Working Collaboratively to Achieve Price Transparency
As part of its Getting to Affordability initiative, the Network for Regional Healthcare Improvement (NRHI) and the Washington Health Alliance partnered to address how to work collaboratively to achieve price transparency.
The organizations created a learning module that features interviews with members of the Alliance’s Board of Directors, who discuss the journey to gain access to pricing data, and ultimately achieve price transparency, in Washington state.
Board members who share their experiences are:
- Caroline Whalen, Director, Department of Executive Services, King County
- Greg Marchand, Benefits Leader, The Boeing Company
- David Grossman, MD, MPH, Senior Associate Medical Director, Market Strategy and Public Policy, Kaiser Permanente Washington
- Tim Lieb, President, Regence BlueShield
The learning module covers:
- The importance of a multi-stakeholder approach
- How to work with stakeholders to gain consensus on cost reporting
- How to keep all players focused on the end goal of transparency and reporting on value in health care
- The role Regional Health Improvement Collaboratives play in achieving health care transparency
- Tips for others
The learning module also shares key success factors for obtaining price data:
- This takes time
- It is important to have every voice at the table
- Trust is crucial for success
- Create ground rules together
- Don’t go it alone
The Alliance is proud of our work to gain access to pricing data in Washington state, and we’re pleased to be able to share our experience so that other regions can work toward price transparency as well.
Published: April 19, 2018